Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mapping out your Career!


It has been over 7 months since I graduated from Lindenwood University, with a B.A. in not-for-profit management. Since then, I took a job selling websites, advertising, tried to start a business, and now sell hair care products to salons.

The field of not-for-profit (my passion) has yet to cross my path, so I wondered; why in the world did I get a degree in non-profit management and start my career as a salesman?

Today I took out one of my old text books (GOD thats like taking out an old girlfriend on a "I've got no one date") and started flipping through it. So many ideas started racing through my head. Is it possible for a social-preneur to get excited about sales? Why do I take jobs in fields that do not relate to my interests?

I want to help people and make a difference. I want to change society for the better, but currently, I can not find a cause or issue I am interested in. Of course I want to help where it is needed but, where do you find the need?

I know that a sales career is helping people help themselves. The good thing about selling hair care products is that you don’t get thrown out on you ass, like in advertising sales, however, I wonder how big a difference do I make in peoples life?

Growing up I was always in the leadership role, but now not so much. I like the idea of leading organizations, setting the culture, and helping people grow; how do you do that as the salesman?

This blog was a lot of philosophical personal question, I know that. I recommend that in your daily journal you take some time to jot down some of your questions you have about your life. I read somewhere that questions are like the road map, you keep driving and driving thinking you know exactly where you are, but you have no idea (you’re truly lost). You reach into the glove box and pull out the folded up QUESTIONS. I can't ever fold the questions back up and put them back in the glove box!

2 comments:

Nathan Bush said...

I want to be the first to comment on my blog, it just seemed appropriate.

Anonymous said...

I'll be the second to comment on your blog. Keep asking your questions and you'll reach your destination. When you do, you'll quickly discover that the journey is more important than the destination. Kirby Newbury, Discount Coffee.com