Monday, April 24, 2006

Positioning Your Mind (Positive Thinking in Negative Situations)


Positioning Your Mind


No matter what happens, if you have the right mind set, you will be successful no matter the obstacles or the situation. Positioning your mind is all about knowing what you want to accomplish before you go into a situation.

Recently, I was attending a Business Network International Conference (BNI) where Scott Ginsberg, Nationally known author, was prepared to speak on “approachability.” I was so excited.

The conference was going great; everybody was sitting around eating breakfast. Each person I approached was willing to exchange information about their business, and they knew this conference was an opportunity to get closer to their next big sale or at least get meet more people.

After finishing breakfast with Terry Herring (from TC Herring and Associates: Human Resource and People Performance Development), a good friend of mine, we went into the ballroom to prepare our minds for one of my favorite speakers. It was so nice, we were going to receive Scott’s book, and on our chair in the ballroom there the book was, all for me.

Terry and I were chatting when all of a sudden someone came dashing through the ballroom saying, “There is a fire in the building we need to get out.” Spazio’s , located in Saint Louis, Missouri, was on fire!

Wow! A real fire. It took longer than I could have ever imagined for the firefighters to get there. It was only a matter of time before the flames busted out from the roof. Thankfully, to my knowledge, no one was hurt.

AWE MAN! I was not going to get to listen to Scott speak, who I had been waiting to hear speak for over 1year, and the conference was over before it even started, or was it?

While outside I saw Scott and I thought to my self “I wonder if he is truly APPROACHABLE!” He was. Scott has become a good friend of mine since and is helping me accomplish some things I would have never ever had the opportunity to, unless I had the right mind set.

Everybody came prepared to network and in the time of adversity people used this situation as what Scott would call a “Front Porch.” The fire was a conversation piece. It sparked a lot of conversations; the obstacle, the fire, the negative became the positive. The fire allowed networking to become easier.

Scott speaks about approachability and this situation definitely made people more approachable. My suggestion would be that no matter the situation, the obstacle, the circumstance, the objection, or reason there is always two ways of looking at a situation. If you have the right mind set you can accomplish amazing things even in these times.

Do you smell what I’m stepping in?

No comments: