Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Six Year Old Superhero


This past Easter reminded me what giving is truly about!

Bill, 40+ years old, is Mentally Handicapped (MH), and has been his whole life. Basically Bill had no family.

The reason I know Bill is because he is under the care of a non-profit organization called Community Living, where my fiance, Casey, currently works.

Bill had been very down, depressed and upset because all the other guys in his group home had family to go see on Easter. He did not. Casey asked if it would be alright to bring Bill for Easter (to my families gathering), “Of course,” I responded. Little did I know what a difference it would make!

My whole family was there, and Bill seemed to fit right in. Everybody just loved bill, especially my little six year old cousin Olivia. She took a special interest in Bill.

Well it was announced “THE EASTER BUNNY WAS HERE, AND HE HID SOME EGGS. WHO WANTS TO GO EASTER EGG HUNTING?” Oh boy! Everyone was so excited to go out and find those eggs.

All my 10 cousins 12 years of age and younger rushed to line up at the door. Every one was so excited! Well everyone except for Bill. See he too wanted to go Easter Egg Hunting, but he did not have any thing to put the eggs in.

Then out of the corner of the room Olivia, my little 6 year old cousin, said “here Bill I found this bag for you.” Bill had a bag oh boy he was delighted. All the kids rushed out side.

Abby found an egg. Then Teresa found an egg. Then Kyle found three. Dustin found two, and Gabriel for 2 more. What about Bill?

He would see one but Kyle would beat him to it. He would see another and Abby would beat him to it. Then something amazing happened. Bill looked down at the little six year old tapping on his leg. “here bill I found this for you,” Olivia stated as she handed Bill a little yellow egg.

This story may not be much to you, but when you ask Bill where he got the little yellow Easter egg sitting on his dresser he always responds “the Superhero.” See the kind gesture, of that little girl, made a huge difference in Bills life.

Why was she his Superhero? Did she save his life? Probably, not! She did something much simpler…………………………….she GAVE………… she truly, truly gave.

No comments: