Friday, May 19, 2006

Close More Sales With Referral Based Selling


Many salespeople would like referrals, matter-a-fact it is what pays a lot of people’s living. Sales books and CD’s everywhere pride on referrals. It was a Thursday when I first introduced referral based selling into my sales process.

I was on a sales call and it hit me, like most good ideas. It was the first meeting of the day, and I was meeting with Bob from BBrook Auto Insurance. He was the owner of this franchise and was just starting out. He had been in insurance sales for a while, but decided that he wanted to own his personal firm.

His insurance policies focused mainly on high risk auto insurance sales. I was trying to help him advertise in Hometown Family Savings, the direct mailer magazine I have been selling for. The only reason I was in his office to begin with, was because of a referral from my hairstylist (anyways).

The conversation that closed 7 sales (including this one) went like this:

Bob: So, I want to purchase a ¼ size space I think it would help me out…
Me: Yes it would, and I understand you are ready to make a decision?
Bob: Yes I am!
Me: Bob, I don’t think it would be in your best interest to do so right now….
(I turned down a sale WHAT?) No I did not! follow me for a second
Bob: What?
Me: Bob, to help your AD do the very best, I think that we need to fill the page with other businesses that revolve around high risk auto.
Me: Do you consistently deal with any traffic lawyers or any other business that complements your company? If you do, we should have them on the same page… To receive the best response possible we should fill the page with companies that people go to when they are in high risk auto situations.
Bob: yeah that’s a good idea; I want my AD to be looked at more often.
Me: So bob, why don’t you talk to the people you do the most business with, and see if it would be beneficial for them to commit with you. Until then I can not sell you this space….See until this is the best decision for you; I can not let you make a mistake….

Thee days later I sold his entire network because it was in their best interest.

Five things that help close referral sales:
1. Integrity
2. Problem solving
3. Turn customers into salespeople for your company
4. Make the product desirable, but only obtainable with referrals
5. Patience (Don’t pressure customers into buying)

No comments: