Wednesday, May 17, 2006

College AH! Where did it Go?


“10 Steps For Students Who Are Graduating”

College is over! It is the end of the semester and graduation is this Saturday. I am truly the most scared I have ever been in my entire life. College has been fun though, and I have had some great times.

There were things in college that have shaped my thoughts, beliefs, and actions. After only 3 years its over! Up until now my life has been easy, fun, and comfortable; all I had to do was what I was told.

Man I had some great times!!!


Now it is time for me to be set free. Free?? Was not I free before? NO! I was in the educational system, and now I have the whole world in front of me. I have so many questions that I need to answer myself NOW:

What do I want to do for a living?
What kind of hours do I want to work?
What kind of benefits do I need?
How in the hell do I pay all these bills?
How do I become Wealthy?
How do my peers see me?
What do I want to be known for?
Do I have enough experience?
Who will give me the chance?
Will the person who employs me pay for my continued education?
How can I make a difference in the world?
What do I truly like to do?
What needs to be done?
Where are all my friends now?
What kind of jobs are they getting?

The list goes on and on, but there has to be a rational way to take the step from college into the real world right? Answer: Yes! There is a logical step by step guide to follow.

Here are the10 steps for students who are graduating:

1. Email people
Send an email to all your contacts (teachers, friends, family, coworkers, business owners ect...) thanking them for all their support guidance through your college experience. Let them know how much they mean to you.


2. Keep a journal
Write down your best marketable qualities. Write down things that happen to you. Keep writing all your ideas and review them at the end of the month.


3. Talk to everyone about your skills (Network- not neteasy-netWORK)
Go to seminars, association meetings, and family events. Use these opportunities to build relationships with people. Call other professionals and ask them if they have time to talk to you about their job.


4. Read a motivational book or magazine on success
There are many books written to inspire you as well as focus your attention on your personal best qualities. Try to apply principals that you learned in books, to your life

5. Listen to speakers on your Ipod
It may sound funny but I did it and it helped me focus my personal goals as well as teach me how to negotiate my salary.

6. Review interview question
I feel it was important to practice before the “game.” It dose not matter how good of a programmer you are if you can not sell yourself in the interview.

7. Do something to help other people for free
Zig Ziglar states “You can have everything you want in life if you are just willing to help enough other people get what they want first!”

8. Write your resume
By the time most people graduate they already have completed this step.... but, go back and review it. Try to structure the resume to the specific job you are looking for.

9. Find a mentor – someone you look up to for guidance

10. Set personal value-goals
Read my section on setting value-goals and it will make a difference in your life.

No comments: