Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Value-Goal


"How to set goals that will be accomplished"

Every book you read will tell you that you need to have goals. You need to set goals, and you need to complete goals. That is true; however, what is a goal if it doesn’t mean anything to you. I could set a goal to build the tallest building in the world, but what actually happens? Nothing! Unless I attach a VALUE to that specific goal.

I have six personal values that guide my decision making and help me set goals:

Education
Charity
Respect
Leadership
Organization
Teamwork

Every goal I set has these six values attached to help me accomplish my goal with promptness and efficiency. When you attach a personal value to your goal, only then does the goal become important and obtainable.

So, how come some people never reach their goals?

Simply, It was not important to them. They did not have a VALUE-GOAL they probably had an Idea. The difference between an idea and a goal (value-goal) is: an idea is a feeling that something is likely. A VALUE GOAL is based on your core principles, and is a measurable something that (if not accomplished) will tear on your personal foundation.

Every time I am granted the gift of leadership, my personal plan is form all around my values.

In 2005 I was on the Executive Board of a Lindenwood Student Organization. I though it was time to implement a rewards system that would further ingrain these six values in all the students that went through the program.

I thought of these six awards:

Highest Scholar Award (highest grade point average) – Education
Heat Award (person who did the most volunteer hours) – Charity
Campus Citizenship Award (Person that demonstrated best integrity) – Respect
Valued Leader Award (high leadership skills) – Leadership
Prompt and Prepared Award (On time and prepared)- Organization
Committee Award (Best Committee) – Teamwork

Having specific “VALUE-GOALS” to achieve each semester will create a culture in that organization that is focused on significance, service, and success. If it is true that success breeds success then VAULE-GOALS matter. This rewards system was also a perfect demonstration of how to set VALUE-GOALS. If a student wanted to win an award they automatically knew the value that was attached to their goal. This made competition tough, but it helped move the organization into a more successful mindset.

Students that were once a part of this organization are now very successful. The key to their success is the ability to set VALUE-GOALS.

Why do I want to graduate from college? Answer: because I value my education.


How do you set goals?

No comments: